Car Rental FAQ's
- Do I need a credit card?You do not require a credit card to confirm the reservation.
You do require a credit card when the car is picked up. You do require a credit card present and the credit card owner present to sign the Rental Agreement when collecting the car. The terms and conditions on the booking page will display the rental requirements of your supplier - each vary slightly. Please note, pre-paid credit cards will not be accepted, ie. Bopo cards.
- Can I use a debit card?Avis, Hertz and Enterprise will accept debit cards (not pre-paid cards) with the Visa/Mastercard emblem at most locations. This excludes any luxury fleet bookings.
Budget and Thrifty will accept debit cards (not prepaid) with the Visa/Mastercard emblem embossed on them at most major locations. This excludes luxury fleet bookings and may require an additional bond upfront.
Europcar will accept debit card in limited circumstances on some standard passenger vehicles (not luxury, specialty or vans). Payment by debit card requires a bond to be paid at the start of the rental, and refunded on return. Europcar states if payment is by Debit card, the renter must also reduce their loss damage waiver.
Always refer to the supplier terms and conditions - to clarify their requirements, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Will my overseas drivers license work for Australia?If you have held a valid, unrestricted drivers license, for a minimum of 12 months and it is in English you will not require an international permit. If you do not have these prerequisites then you will need an international permit. All documents must be original. No photocopies are recognised.
- P Plate or Provisional Licence?Redspot are the only supplier who may accept the provisional (or conditional) licence. They charge a "provisional licence surcharge" if you meet their requirements. Please refer to their Terms and Conditions while booking, for full details.Unfortunately all other suppliers will not rent to provisional licence holders. They require the drivers to be over 21, and have held an open license for more than 12 months.
- How do I add a child seat to my booking?
Child Seat requests can only be added:
Option 1 : add the request on the booking page - if Pickup is more than 48 hrs away. Our team respond in 1 business day.
Option 2 : contact our Customer Service Team by replying to the Confirmation Email advising babies age in months/years
Option 3 : contact the supplier directly. Check confirmation Email for details
Option 4 : BYO!! Take your own baby seat with you
- How do I add GPS to my booking?
GPS Units can only be added:
Option 1 : add the request on the booking page - if pickup is more than 48 hrs away. Our team respond in 1 business day.
Option 2 : contact our Customer Service Team by replying to the Confirmation Email.
Option 3 : contact the supplier directly. Check the Confirmation Email for details
Option 4 : BYO!! Take your own GPS with you
- I want to hire a truck, bus or ute?You'll find truck and ute rental discount codes are here. There won't always be a discount, but it's always best to quote it just in case.
- Will change in reservation date alter the price?Modifying or changing the booking date location or times, will mean the suppliers re-calculate the booking rates to when you change the booking. This can mean rates go up, or down! It is always best to check all SIX suppliers - to get the best deal!
- Am I insured? What are the options available for car rental excess cover?This answer is LONG but IMPORTANT!
Basic insurance is included in the supplier rates, however, in the event of damage to the rental car, each supplier has a damage excess fee. The damage excess fee varies for each supplier, and is around $3000 (higher for specialty/luxury fleet). This is the amount the supplier will charge (up to), if there is damage to their vehicle. Costs are covered after that excess damage fee amount.
When you have decided on the supplier details are displayed at the top of their Terms and Conditions of rental "Included in this quote". Their terms will display the excess fee specific to that supplier.
Check our page explaining options here: Insurance and protection information
Excess reduction from the supplier can be accepted at the counter - the most convenient way for worry free travel. There are varying levels of protection that will be offered at the counter - excess reduction, and also the full protection packaging. Refer to the terms and conditions of the suppliers (from around $30 per day). In the unfortunate event that there is damage to the vehicle, the supplier will charge up to the damage excess fee on the contract regardless of your own personal cover.
The excess reduction is not compulsory in Australia. It is an optional extra offered to you when the vehicle is collected. If there is damage to the vehicle, the car rental companies will charge the excess on the Rental Agreement, if any damage is identified at the return of the vehicle or soon after. Your personal insurance circumstance is not taken into account, until you make claim with them, and it is processed. Pages to reference:
Supplier Terms and Conditions
Insurance and Protection information
- Are there cancellation fees?There are no cancellation fees on CarHire.com.au. The booking can be modified or cancelled without any charge. A credit card is not required to make a booking, but it should be presented when the vehicle is collected.
- I have 6 or 7 or 8 passengers. What group should I book?The "VAN" group seats 8 people. No other group offer more than 5 seats. They need to be booked early, as they are always in high demand. When you reach the car comparison with all the available vehicles, scroll to the bottom and look for "van". Suppliers currently have Hyundai Imax, Kia Carnivale, and Toyota Tarago in the 8 seat van group.
- I don't have a credit card, can I use a friends/family members?If you wish to use someone else's credit card - they will be required to be with you to pick up the car. They will sign the rental agreement as the "renter" - and need to also provide a photo ID to suppliers.
- How do I view, cancel or modify my booking?Use our Modify Booking page for the easiest way to modify or cancel your booking. Suppliers re-calculate the reservation rate if pickup times, dates or locations are amended. Please Note: All extra add-ons will attract additional percentage taxes and surcharges. Any modification to the reservation may alter the price.
OR let us do it for you by emailing email@example.com
- What if I want to modify my booking?Refer to your confirmation email - scroll to the bottom and look for "modify booking". The link will take you to the right place! Alternatives are visit www.carhire.com.au - top right hand side of our home page - "My Booking" OR reply to the confirmation email with your request, and our team will follow this up for you. Remember to check all supplier on the comparison - there may be better deals!! No cancellation fees if you rebook!
- The car I want isn't listed?It usually means it is sold out unfortunately. Trucks are NEVER listed in the search results, 12 seaters only for Europcar. You'll need to make some phone calls for 12 seaters or trucks and utes. Phone numbers and discount codes included here
- Can I take my car on a ferry?No. If a vehicle is taken on a ferry for travel over bodies of water, the vehicle will be void of insurance during the ferry trip. Islands such as Kangaroo Island are considered to be 'full responsibility' locations, meaning that you will have to pay in full for all damage incurred.
Purchased Excess Reduction insurance will also be voided for the ferry trip.
There are some exceptions - Kangaroo Island for THRIFTY vehicles picked up in Adelaide, and Budget vehicles can travel with written authority to Bruny Island. These exceptions are subject to change, and all rentals are subject to current local conditions. To clarify further email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why are flight details important?There are two important reasons why this information is helpful on reservations.
The flight information indicates to the Car Rental Company where to have your vehicle parked to be closest to your flight arrival. There are usually kiosks at both domestic and international terminals. Delays can occur if no flight numbers are available.
Also, if your flight is delayed, the Car Rental Companies will ensure a staff member is available for a confirmed reservation. Hint: if you are delayed - visit the counter of the supplier at your departing airport.
- What about toll roads?Counter staff will provide information local to your depot of pickup. The most popular option is to contact the toll provider after travelling the toll road - within 72 hours (Melbourne, Brisbane) or 48hours (Sydney).
Here is the link for toll information:
Brisbane: https://www.govia.com.au/via/home or http://www.flowtoll.com.au/page/Home
Sydney: Sydney motorways http://www.sydneymotorways.com/
Melbourne: CityLink Melbourne http://www.citylink.com.au/